Get started quickly with the basics of Simulink with this self-paced, interactive tutorial that includes video tutorials and hands-on exercises with automated assessments and feedback.
How to get started:
1. Download Simulink R2018b or get a free trial (if you haven’t already).
2. Download and install this toolbox.
3. Launch MATLAB and open Simulink.
4. Select Simulink Onramp from the Start Page.
For more details, see
Who is this training for?
Students, engineers, and scientists who are familiar with dynamic systems, but not Simulink.
What will you learn?
After completing Simulink Onramp, you will be able to create, modify, and troubleshoot Simulink models that simulate dynamic systems and perform basic signal analysis.
What are the prerequisites?
A fundamental understanding of MATLAB and dynamic systems is required. You can get started with MATLAB with a free tutorial MATLAB Onramp:
How long is Simulink Onramp?
It should take about 3 hours to complete Simulink Onramp. Your progress is saved if you exit the application, so you can complete it in multiple sessions.
What is covered in Simulink Onramp?
1. Course Overview: Running Simulations
2. Simulink Graphical Environment: Learn about Simulink blocks and signals
3. Inspecting Signals: Visualize signal values during simulation
4. Basic Algorithms: Use math and logic operators to write algorithms
5. Obtaining Help: Access documentation from Simulink
6. Project - Automotive Performance Modes: Practice working with math and logic operators
7. Simulink and MATLAB: Use MATLAB variables and functions in Simulink
8. Dynamic systems in Simulink: Review dynamic systems and learn how they relate to Simulink
9. Discrete systems: Model discrete-time systems
10. Continuous systems: Model continuous-time systems
11. Simulation Time: Choose the simulation duration
12. Project - Modeling a Thermostat: Practice your understanding of discrete dynamic systems
13. Project - Peregrine Falcon Dive: Practice your understanding of continuous dynamic systems
14. Conclusion: Learn about next steps and give feedback on the course
How do you view and share progress through Simulink Onramp?
You can view, print, and share your progress with others on the MATLAB Courses dashboard page:
MathWorks Simulink Team (2019). Simulink Onramp (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/69056-simulink-onramp), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .
I am having error in the 9.1 Discrete Systems, who can help me?i am exactly giving the solution to the simulink but it does not give me the "next task " bottom.i have also made an screenshot from it, but i do not know how to upload it.
How to launch the course? R2018b
Does it work with R2017b?
Unfortunately the videos do not work.
I am not able to see interaction takes place in Simulink. Please suggest.(Using 2018b version)
Is it support Matlab 2014?
Really great content for beginners. Really useful for my studies. I have a problem though, it is stuck at 91% even after submitting the answers for the survey. Thanks
Is it support of MATLAB r2016a
I have completed the course 100%, yet the progress appears as 62% only. Kindly support.
why don't support 2018a?
I got it right in the first attempt!
I have the simulink onramp on the start page. However, when I open it, it showed that 'Oops. We do not appear to have that course.Browse other courses'. What's wrong with it? I'm a student and I have Matlab 2018b.
Thank you for the request, Anne. Unfortunately, the video player that we are using for Simulink Onramp does not support closed captioning, but we are working on updating this in a future version.
It should be more accessible to deaf people. All the audio and no subtitle videos are difficult.
Very good made tutorial. It starts with the bacis and finishing with some good practial topics.
I have downloaded and installed the toolbox however I can't access the course. It doesn't appear on Simulink when I open it.
Just installed Simulink Onramp but it doesn't appear in the Start Page, tried to close and re-open several times, is anyone in the same situation?
using Matlab 2018b free trial version and simulink link given here is 2017 version, i followed the steps given, however unable to access the simulink onramp. Can someone help. Thanks
Here is a MATLAB Answers post on how to install and launch Simulink Onramp: https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/425917-how-to-install-and-launch-simulink-onramp
Note that this only works with R2018b version of Simulink and you will only see the Learn section and Simulink Onramp on the Simulink Start Page in R2018b version.
Can I sue this toolbox for R2018b in Simulink R2018a?
@atul Suri, i can see and run the simulink start page but there is no simulink on-ramp tool in startpage
I have downloaded MATLAB R2018b and installed Simulink. When I click on Simulink button in MATLAB I don't see any option for training or On-ramp tool to proceed. Please do help. (I see Simulink start page)
@Mudassar Rauf, you can click on the Simulink button on the MATLAB Toolstrip or type simulink at the command window to launch the Simulink start page.
it got installed but I am unable to find it in the simulink start page. what should i do ?
Hi Giti, please use the same email address or user ID that you used to log in to File Exchange. No need to create an additional ID.
Found the solution. 1
1) Download SimulinkOnramp.mltbx from Download button on the top right-hand side of this page.
2)Then goto matlab.
3) Then click on Add on on tool strip.
4) then look for the simulink on ramp tile & click on it.
5) then install the tool box.
6)open the simulink from matlab & there on the left bottom corner you have simulink onramp. Enjoy learning!
i downloaded toolbox, the file is name as siulinkonamp.mltbx but not able to install it. help.
After installing R2018b I can see the 'Simulink Onramp', however when I clicked on that, I was asked to sign in, when I did it then it asked for creating a 'user ID', I did but it did not proceed and did not accept my user ID despite it was more than 6 character and included numbers?!
Steps to get started:
1. Download the toolbox(not ZIP) from Download button on the top right-hand side of this page.
2. Open MATLAB and change the directory to the folder where u downloaded the file SimulinkOnramp.mltbx.
3. Run this file SimulinkOnramp.mltbx and install it.
4. Now open Simulink by typing Simulink command in the command window.
5. On the buttom left side of the start page, you will find the 'Simulink Onramp', below the recently open Simulink models and projects.
Now you are good to go.
Enjoy the Course
I closed the Matlab and restarted it, now I can see the Simulink Onramp, thank you so much!
After installing Simulink Onramp, it will be shown on the bottom left of the Simulink Start page, below your most recently opened Simulink models and projects.
I'm using R2018b, after installed Simulink Onramp, can't find Simulink Onramp in the Simulink start page, anyone can help me?
Looks good. There may be a problem with some of the images that appear in the Simulink "Training -Tasks" tab. For example in the further practice section on task 2.1 Blocks and Parameters, the box that says "Complete!" has an image box but only a ? in a blue box appears rather than an image. Might just be my PC though.
Note that Simulink Onramp requires R2018b.
Create scripts with code, output, and formatted text in a single executable document.