Implement both a Static arithmetic coder and decoder in
Matlab. Pseudo code is present on slides, algorithmworking is discussed in class.
When your M-file is run, it should first ask the user to input:
• The number of symbols (program can indicate max possible),
• The probability of occurrence of each symbol (Used skewed probabilities, some
symbols probability should be much higher than others, this is what makes
arithmetic coding more efficient).
• Whether the user wants the coder application or thedecoder application
• If the user wants the coder application: the program should request message block
length and respective symbols in order (program canindicate max possible)
• If the user wants the decoder application: then theprogram should request
For the coder application, the executed code shouldreturn the encoded arithmetic value
and display all encoding steps
For the decoder application, the executed code should return the symbol sequence and
display all decoding steps.
You are to ensure you program parameters are indicated by you for the user so that it
works within the working mathematical precision of Matlab and PCs.
SAAD (2020). Arithmetic_coder_decoder (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/41217-arithmetic_coder_decoder), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .