Data Centre Operations and Labs Engineer
- Job: 30948-AEVE
- Location: UK-Cambridge
- Department: Infrastructure and Architecture
Are you looking for a Worldwide team and a company where your contribution is impactful and valued? Come join MathWorks in our UK Cambridge office and help us to support and enhance our global Data Centres and Labs Infrastructure. Be part of a large team where you will contribute in projects that support the technological growth of the MathWorks infrastructure.
This position will be part of the Infrastructure and Data Centres Operations Team supporting day-to-day Data Centres operations, Development Lab users and ticket escalations for our internal development lab customers. The candidate will also be involved in supporting longer-term local and Regional projects (e.g. new Labs and Data Centres, opening new offices, moving and expanding existing offices).
Data Centre & Labs Engineering Administration
- Responsible for day-to-day administration and maintenance of the Data Centres, development labs and be able to “dig in” and work on new/emerging technologies as needed.
- Participation in the Data Centres and Development Labs Team meetings
- Provide first level support for Data Centre and Labs device installations, cable management and asset management
- Maintaining associated hardware such as servers, storages, network devices and low cost hardware hosts
- Troubleshooting issues and addressing Labs related requests
- Automation using scripting and enhancing / re-engineering processes to gain efficiencies
- Responsible for providing Data Centres and Labs support through Help system, phone call and walk-ins
- Provide response and solution to internal customers when requested
- Resolve problems, provide long-term problem resolution
- Assume ownership of assigned tasks, follow through to completion and confirm internal customer satisfaction.
Coaching / training other IT staff
- Transfers knowledge and skills to members of the IT Front Line and peers
- Create and share documentation of systems and processes
- Create Knowledge Base / How-To documentation
- Follow and enhance where necessary best practice of system administration to improve support model
- A bachelor's degree and 6 years of professional work experience (or a master's degree and 3 years of professional work experience, or equivalent experience) is required.
- Candidates must be willing to travel up to 25% of the time
- General infrastructure server hardware maintenance and excellent cable management skills
- Knowledge of Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS), Power Distribution Units (PDU) and general electrical distribution within Data Centers
- Hands-on experience and familiarity with various Windows and Linux operating systems. Basic familiarity with Mac.
- knowledge of local-area, wide-area, wireless networks, and Networking topologies and protocols
- Self-motivated, quick learner and strong troubleshooting skills
- Scripting and automation languages such as PowerShell, VBScript, Ansible (nice to have)
- Experience creating automated software packages
- Availability to travel around all our European Office locations and possibly also to other Regions.
It's the chance to collaborate with bright, passionate people. It's the opportunity to accelerate the pace of discovery, innovation, and learning in engineering and science. And it’s a commitment to doing the right thing—for each individual, our customers, and the local community. We cultivate an enjoyable, participatory, and rational environment that champions individual growth, appreciates diversity, encourages initiative, values collaboration, shares success, and rewards excellence.
MathWorks develops MATLAB and Simulink, the leading technical computing software used by engineers and scientists. The company employs more than 6,000 people in 16 countries, with headquarters in Natick, Massachusetts, USA. MathWorks is privately held and has been profitable every year since its founding in 1984.
YOU + MathWorks = Unlimited Possibilities
Join Our Talent Network
Receive personalized job opportunities, stories, and company updates.
Contact us if you need reasonable accommodation because of a disability in order to apply for a position.
The MathWorks, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. View The EEO is the Law poster and its supplement.
The pay transparency policy is available here.
MathWorks participates in E-Verify. View the E-Verify posters here.