Terms and Conditions
These Terms and Conditions govern your participation in the Simulink Student Challenge, sponsored by The MathWorks, Inc. (“MathWorks”, including its wholly owned subsidiaries and affiliates), 3 Apple Hill Drive, Natick, Massachusetts 01760-2098.
Participation and Conditions of Entry
How to Enter
- Create an original video that includes:
- Short introduction of your problem or application you developed using Simulink products
- Demonstration of how you used Simulink with any of our other products
- Upload your video to YouTube or Youku (China only) by December 4th, 2020 (1 p.m. ET). Include the tag “#SimulinkChallenge2020” in the title of your video
- Submit an entry form by December 4th, 2020 (1 p.m. ET).
- You must currently be an enrolled student at a degree-granting institution.
- MathWorks employees are not eligible.
- The videos and titles must be submitted in English.
- The recommended length for the video is 3 to 5 minutes.
- Teams can enter. The individual that completes the contest entry form will receive the prize should that team win.
- Participation is free.
- All entries will be judged by MathWorks application support engineers on a 100-point scale using these criteria:
- Appropriateness of entry to contest theme (30-point maximum)
- Creativity and originality of the video (40-point maximum)
- Depth of product knowledge demonstrated in the challenge solution (30-point maximum)
- File Exchange entries related to video submissions could be eligible for bonus points based on the level of engineering skill shown in the entry (5-point maximum)
- If two or more videos receive the same winning score, the tie-breaker will be decided first based on the highest score in the appropriateness of entry to contest theme category, then the creativity and originality category, then the depth of product knowledge demonstrated category.
- The top three winners will be notified via email and announced on this page. Social media posts may also be used to announce the winners. The top three winners will receive prizes as follows:
- 1st Prize - $1000 USD
- 2nd Prize - $500 USD
- 3rd Prize - $250 USD
- Decisions by the judges are final.
MathWorks reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to modify or terminate this competition for any reason, including in the event of any act or occurrence that it believes would corrupt the integrity, administration, or fairness of the competition. MathWorks is not responsible for lost, late, stolen, incomplete, illegible, inaccurate, undelivered, delayed, or misdirected entries. By participating in the competition, you agree to release, discharge, and hold harmless MathWorks, its respective affiliates, and any individuals engaged in the development or execution of this competition, from any liability, claims, losses, and damages arising out of or related to your participation in this competition or the acceptance, use, misuse, or possession of any prize received in this competition. All taxes, fees, and surcharges on the prizes won are the sole responsibility of the winner(s).
You will continue to own any applicable intellectual property rights in your submissions, but by entering a submission, you grant to MathWorks a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free license to, without limitation, post the textual descriptions of the submissions on any website owned by or affiliated with MathWorks. Once you enter a submission, the submission cannot be modified in any way until after the judging period is complete.
You also agree to provide your submission directly to MathWorks, and grant to MathWorks a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free license to use, copy, modify, distribute, and license others to use, copy, modify, and distribute your submission, or any portion thereof, for any and all MathWorks promotional purposes, on any and all media, in any and all formats, and via any and all modes of transmission, distribution, or dissemination, whether now known or hereafter developed. Nothing herein shall obligate MathWorks to exercise these rights. You hereby waive any right of inspection or approval of the uses to which the submission may be put.
You warrant and represent that: (1) you are eighteen (18) years of age or older; (2) you have complied with all applicable terms, conditions, and guidelines of YouTube and/or Youku, as may be relevant, regarding your submission; (3) you have the full right, power, and authority to grant these rights and permissions; and (4) your submission is a) original; b) solely owned by you so that no other party has any rights or interest in the submission, whether known or unknown; and c) does not violate the intellectual property, common law, or any other rights of any third parties. You agree that these terms constitute the entire agreement between you and MathWorks, and supersedes all prior communications and/or understandings, whether written or oral, pertaining hereto.
You agree that these terms will be governed by and construed under and in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. You hereby consent and agree to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the federal and state courts of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in connection with any lawsuit, action, or proceeding arising out of or related to these terms and/or the contest. This contest is void where prohibited. No purchase necessary.